Purpose: to take advantage of the potential to decrease post-operative surgical site infections by cleansing the skin of the patient preoperatively
Please remember to Not Shave any of the hair bearing areas at or near the planned operative site for 48 hours prior to the operation.
At the present, typical use instructions for a commercial CHG formulation are as follows:
- If the patient’s condition allows, showering is recommended for whole-body bathing.
- The patient should wash the entire body, including the scalp, on two consecutive occasions prior to having a surgical procedure. We prefer a shower or bath the evening before the operation and the morning of the operation.
- Each shower bath should consist of two consecutive thorough applications of CHG containing formulation followed by thorough rinsing.
The recommended use of the preoperative skin cleansing soap is as follows:
- Wet the body, including the hair.
- Wash the hair using 1 ounce of the antiseptic soap and the body using another 1 ounce of the formulation. Scrub the areas of the planned operation and the surrounding areas for 30 seconds using a wash cloth.
- Rinse thoroughly after the second application.
- After completing the shower bath and drying the skin, please do not apply any skin lotions, moisturizers, etc.